Not to say that we have the perfect relationship, or that we get along great all of the time, but I’ve thought of a list of things we do to keep our relationship happy and healthy and I thought you might find it interesting to read for yourselves.
1. Don’t go to bed angry! This is the most important thing in the world. If you’re having an argument, at least end it on a positive note at bedtime. If you go to bed angry, you’ll wake up in a shitty mood and you’ll be even more angry. Then there’s no chance of talking things out and making amends.
2. Talk about your problems as they come up; don’t allow everything to build up and explode in your faces. When you’ve got something on your mind, or your other half does something that pisses you off, say something! Don’t let it fester in your mind and build on top of everything else, because it’ll all end up making you crazy and shit will hit the fan. If you’re able to be calm and talk things out like responsible adults, everyone ends up happier.
3. Be honest. No matter what, don’t ever lie to each other. We remember the things the other says, but rarely remember exactly what you say to the other. It’s too easy to get caught up in your lies, and when you do, you tend to lie to cover up the previous lie. Who wants a relationship based on lies and deceit? Being honest with one another is one of the most important things in a relationship.
4. Compromise! We can’t have our way all the time, but there are ways of changing things around and altering your plans so that everyone is happy. If you can’t compromise, then there’s no relationship.
5. One thing I’m bad at is knowing when to ‘drop it’. When Hubby and I argue, I take it very personal and I feel like I have to fix things 100%. If I still feel like there’s more to be said, I say it. It’s super hard for me to just throw it aside and forget about it. It’s something we all have to work on.
6. Another one of the most important things in a relationship is support. If you can’t support each other, what can you do? Support each others ideas, dreams, and aspirations; don’t shoot them down because you think they’re ‘unrealistic’ or ‘stupid’ – Obviously your other half doesn’t think so, and you should always be there to cheer them on and, if whatever it is doesn’t work out, be there to catch them when they fall.
7. Get interested in each others’ hobbies. Let’s face it: sitting around on our asses all day is no fun at all. There are tons of things to do, and having new experiences is always a good time. Even if you don’t particularly like doing it, it’ll mean a lot to your other half if you just try. Seeing the happiness on your other half’s face will make it all worth it, and hey – maybe you’ll even have fun.
8. Keep your word. This is the biggest problem I’ve got with Hubby. If you say you’re going to do something, do it. If you say you’re going to call, call. If something comes up and you can’t help it, call and let the other person know why and what’s going on, and set a different time to do whatever it is. Being reliable shows that you care.
9. Communicate! For the love of all things Holy, talk to each other. Tell each other how you feel, what’s on your mind, whatever you feel like saying. Let your other half do the same. Communication is key – Miscommunication is one of the biggest problems I see in most relationships. Being on the same wavelength is super important.
10. Have sex. Yea, I said it. Sex is a different way of communicating. It’s important that you be passionate about your love for each other and that you show each other how hot that passion burns. You don’t have to have sex every day, or even every week or month, but it’s important to every relationship, whether we like to admit it or not.
I’m sure we’ll think of more to add to the list, but I figure ten is enough to start off with. I hope you find them as helpful as we do, and wish you and your partner the best of luck in your life together.